He Let’s Us Participate
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.” Job 1:21
I love how God humbles us. When He humbles, He always gives us a lift into hope, and we feel the elation of knowing that God has done this. As the director of Read Around the Block, I testify that every single session is directed by the Lord. We cannot, as human beings, manufacture the joy that He gives. It is unmistakable!
Here is some news from our Read Around the Block program, and I invite you to praise God with me! Read Around the Block is so much more than a literacy program. It is all about relationships. When God is involved, He makes everything work together to fulfill His good plan. Although it is never chaos-free, Read Around the Block involves harmonious relationships with kids, staff, volunteers, and parents all working together to produce good fruit for the kingdom.
• Here are some praises:
• We have 19 kids registered with an average of about 11 attending each session. This is very good attendance for wintertime, when the cold and sickness keep many indoors.
• We are communicating Jesus to the kids, and the news about Him is being received as good news!
• Although sometimes it is difficult to measure just how much kids are being helped by the tutoring, attitudes are great, and the engagement is high!
• We have had our first ever parent prayer meeting and 5 parents came! We enjoyed fellowship together, laughing, and interceding for our kids, schools, neighborhoods and relationships. We shared our prayer concerns and gave advice freely. Here is an excerpt that I wrote about the prayer time:
• I started the prayer by thanking God for all the ladies that were there. Then spent time in “popcorn prayer”. I was so encouraged by the passionate prayer! I felt the presence of God. It was heartfelt prayer, nothing ritualistic or pretentious. Prayer was lifted up for kids, neighborhood, schools, teachers. I announced that we would spend time to share some prayer requests – wow! We went around the table and shared our concerns and struggles. It was very interesting that as we went around and each person shared their requests, the rest of the group gave advice to the person who had shared. It was good advice, kindly given, and not sugar-coated either! When I started the meeting, I did not expect to be ministered to myself, but that’s exactly what happened!
– Thank you for all your support and participation in God’s work! Joy Ferguson